Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Still Learning


Well it seems like everyday I am learning something new. Last week we had Zone Conference in Milano which was amazing! We had one of the area seventy come and speak to us. It was very good and made me revaluate everything that I am doing as a missionary and realized certain things I need to be better at doing.
 
Let's just say waking up in the morning has never been an easy thing for me to do. I have done very well with waking up on time at6:30 am but for some reason last transfer it seemed inpossible to wake up on time because of the cold, being tired, and etc. After zone conference I told myself that I was going to wake up on time to be obedient to the schedule that we have. So that next morning I hear Sorella Stephens alarm first and I sprung out of bed..haha It probably seemed like a crazy person but ever since that day I have woken (is that a word?) up on time. From this small experience I have seen the blessings of obedience and I have a strong testimony of being obedient. I have had more energy in the day and the spirit has been stronger. I am very grateful for the rules that we have as missionaries because they truely are inspired by God.
 
Another main topic mentioned at zone conference was having the prayer of faith. One of the points that I loved was praying to have the spirit to know what to say when you dont know what to say. I had an experience that night where someone we were teaching just dropped some sad news. In that moment I had absolutely no clue what to say. All I could do was pray to be able to have the spirit so I could know what I needed to say to this person. After I prayed I began to speak and bore testimony to help this person. I dont remember what I said but I know it was what that person needed to hear in that moment. It was a great experience to see how the spirit can help us to know what to say when we dont know what to say. It was interetsing because similiar situations happened with two of our other investigators and the same thing happened. I prayed to have the spirit help me know what I needed to say and the words came to me in that moment.
 
This sunday we had our ward primary program. I loved it! It was so sweet to see all of the primary children sing and testify of the things they know to be true. That is something I love about children. They have such faith and trust in God. Although they are young they don't doubt the things they know to be true. I am grateful for these little bambini here in como because they truely strengthened my testimony and helped me to have the faith that they have.
 
This week was the week of learning and hearing about others trials which made me realized how are trials are so fine tuned for us. Heavenly Father knows exactly what we can handle and what we need to experince in order for us to grow the most. Although the trials we have aren't the ones we want or expected to have in our lives..But they are the trials that God knows we can overcome and become the person he has in mind. One story that was shared in Zone conference I loved was a talk from General Conference I believe. It was a talk about a current bush and a shade tree. Heavenly Father at times will cut us down and we may wonder why these trials are happening to us. But he knows so perfectly what we need. He has the big picture. He knows our potential and what we can become. I am grateful for trials so I can be cut down at times, so I can become the person the Lord knows I can become.
 
Here is the talk "The Currant Bush" By Elder Hugh B. Brown"Hugh B. Brown was born in Granger, Utah, and grew up in Alberta, Canada. From 1961 to 1970, he served as a counselor in the First Presidency to David O. McKay, ninth President of the Church. He was a powerful speaker and teacher with a great love for and understanding of the youth of the Church.
You sometimes wonder whether the Lord really knows what He ought to do with you. You sometimes wonder if you know better than He does about what you ought to do and ought to become. I am wondering if I may tell you a story. It has to do with an incident in my life when God showed me that He knew best.
I was living up in Canada. I had purchased a farm. It was run-down. I went out one morning and saw a currant bush. It had grown up over six feet (two meters) high. It was going all to wood. There were no blossoms and no currants. I was raised on a fruit farm in Salt Lake before we went to Canada, and I knew what ought to happen to that currant bush. So I got some pruning shears and clipped it back until there was nothing left but stumps. It was just coming daylight, and I thought I saw on top of each of these little stumps what appeared to be a tear, and I thought the currant bush was crying. I was kind of simpleminded (and I haven’t entirely gotten over it), and I looked at it and smiled and said, “What are you crying about?” You know, I thought I heard that currant bush say this:
“How could you do this to me? I was making such wonderful growth. I was almost as big as the shade tree and the fruit tree that are inside the fence, and now you have cut me down. Every plant in the garden will look down on me because I didn’t make what I should have made. How could you do this to me? I thought you were the gardener here.”
That’s what I thought I heard the currant bush say, and I thought it so much that I answered. I said, “Look, little currant bush, I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. I didn’t intend you to be a fruit tree or a shade tree. I want you to be a currant bush, and someday, little currant bush, when you are laden with fruit, you are going to say, ‘Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down. Thank you, Mr. Gardener.’”
Years passed, and I found myself in England. I was in command of a cavalry unit in the Canadian army. I held the rank of field officer in the British Canadian army. I was proud of my position. And there was an opportunity for me to become a general. I had taken all the examinations. I had the seniority. The one man between me and the office of general in the British army became a casualty, and I received a telegram from London. It said: “Be in my office tomorrow morning at 10:00,” signed by General Turner.
I went up to London. I walked smartly into the office of the general, and I saluted him smartly, and he gave me the same kind of a salute a senior officer usually gives—a sort of “Get out of the way, worm!” He said, “Sit down, Brown.” Then he said, “I’m sorry I cannot make the appointment. You are entitled to it. You have passed all the examinations. You have the seniority. You’ve been a good officer, but I can’t make the appointment. You are to return to Canada and become a training officer and a transport officer.” That for which I had been hoping and praying for 10 years suddenly slipped out of my fingers.
Then he went into the other room to answer the telephone, and on his desk, I saw my personal history sheet. Right across the bottom of it was written, “THIS MAN IS A MORMON.” We were not very well liked in those days. When I saw that, I knew why I had not been appointed. He came back and said, “That’s all, Brown.” I saluted him again, but not quite as smartly, and went out.
I got on the train and started back to my town, 120 miles (190 kilometers) away, with a broken heart, with bitterness in my soul. And every click of the wheels on the rails seemed to say, “You are a failure.” When I got to my tent, I was so bitter that I threw my cap on the cot. I clenched my fists, and I shook them at heaven. I said, “How could you do this to me, God? I have done everything I could do to measure up. There is nothing that I could have done—that I should have done—that I haven’t done. How could you do this to me?” I was as bitter as gall.
And then I heard a voice, and I recognized the tone of this voice. It was my own voice, and the voice said, “I am the gardener here. I know what I want you to do.” The bitterness went out of my soul, and I fell on my knees by the cot to ask forgiveness for my ungratefulness and my bitterness. While kneeling there I heard a song being sung in an adjoining tent. A number of Mormon boys met regularly every Tuesday night. I usually met with them. We would sit on the floor and have Mutual. As I was kneeling there, praying for forgiveness, I heard their singing:
But if, by a still, small voice he calls
To paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine:
I’ll go where you want me to go.
(Hymns, number 270)
I arose from my knees a humble man. And now, almost 50 years later, I look up to Him and say, “Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for cutting me down, for loving me enough to hurt me.” I see now that it was wise that I should not become a general at that time, because if I had I would have been senior officer of all western Canada, with a lifelong, handsome salary, a place to live, and a pension, but I would have raised my six daughters and two sons in army barracks. They would no doubt have married out of the Church, and I think I would not have amounted to anything. I haven’t amounted to very much as it is, but I have done better than I would have done if the Lord had let me go the way I wanted to go.
Many of you are going to have very difficult experiences: disappointment, heartbreak, bereavement, defeat. You are going to be tested and tried. I just want you to know that if you don’t get what you think you ought to get, remember, God is the gardener here. He knows what He wants you to be. Submit yourselves to His will. Be worthy of His blessings, and you will get His blessings."
 
I know that this to be true. it is hard to be cut down and face trials and opposition but another part of this life was for us to have joy and to find the joy. I am grateful for the trials that I do have because they helpe me learn each and everyday.
 
Today I finished Phillippians in the New Testament and I loved this scripture. It says," I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Phil 4:13. I know that the Lord truely strenthens us during those trials and hard times we face in life. I am grateful for Jesus Christ because he has truely suffered every pain and affliction for us. I hope you all will remember that although we may get cut down like the current bush we will be strenthened by the Lord.
 
I am grateful to be here. Although it is cold and windy here the spirit keeps me warm and we continue doing missionary work.
 
Love you all,
Sorella Carter
 


Our District


Baptism for a little boy in our ward


(My nephew, Nathan)


No comments:

Post a Comment